Thursday, June 6, 2013

Interview & Showcase: The Fallen Angels Book Club by R Franklin James




The Fallen Angels Book Club
by R Franklin James
on Tour June 1st - July 31st 2013


1. Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

Reading great books was the largest influence on my writer’s life.


2. How long did it take you to write The Fallen Angels Book Club?

I finished the first draft in a year. It took three years and four more drafts to finish the book


3. While writing how many times do you go back and rewrite a plot?

I take a great deal of time to determine a plot outline but I will trim, expand and develop scenes to that end numerous times—whatever it takes to make the story hang together.


4. You run into a bookstore, where do you go first?

I fluctuate between New Arrivals, mysteries and discounted books. I’m always looking for a good mystery.


5. How many books in a month do you tend to read?

I will read between 1-2 books (fiction and non-fiction) a month while I’m writing under a deadline. If I’m not under a deadline, I’ll read 3 – 4 books.


6. In all the books you've read. Who is your most favorite character and why?

It’s like choosing your favorite child. My most favorite character is one that has a character flaw and a secret but is intelligent, a creative problem-solver, compassionate and witty.





7. State 5 random facts about yourself.

I am the Walter Mitty of imagined storylines
I love complicated story plots
I love to eavesdrop
I love factoids
I love to travel to foreign places and return home


8. Your favorite Genre?

Mystery/ Thriller


9. What are you currently reading?
(Note: I’m currently writing under a deadline)

Feng Shui for the Soul – Denise Linn
The Litigators – John Grisham
Terminated – Simon Wood


10. What is the best book you've read?

I can’t state just one book, there are too many. I’m attracted to books because of the quality of the writing and the complexity of the characters and plot.

A few that come to mind are: Atlas Shrugged (Rand), The Stand (King), The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald), The Historian (Kostova), the Expats (Pavone)


11. Any new projects coming up?

The Fallen Angels Book Club is the first in a three book series. Book two will be out this fall and book three early next year.





Book Details

Genre: Mystery / Amateur Dective
Published by: Camel Press
Publication Date: May 1, 2013
Number of Pages: 264
ISBN: 1603819177 / 978-1603819176
Purchase Links: 


Synopsis: 

The Fallen Angels Book Club has only two requirements: the members must love books and have a white-collar criminal record. Hollis Morgan fits the bill. Left holding the bag in an insurance fraud scheme concocted by her now ex-husband, she served her time and is trying to rebuild her life. All she wants is for the court to pardon her conviction so she can return to law school.

After one of her fellow members is murdered in a scenario straight out of a club selection, Hollis is once again the subject of police scrutiny. Refusing to get stuck with another bad rap, she sets out to investigate her fellow club members. Is one of them really blackmailing the others? As a second member dies in yet another book-inspired murder, Hollis realizes that time is running out. Everything rides on her finding the killer--not just her career aspirations. She must identify the killer before she herself becomes the next victim. Everyone is convinced she knows more than she lets on. But what is it, exactly, that is she supposed to know?

Read an excerpt:
Tonight it was my turn to come early and set up the space for our book club meeting. Our monthly gatherings were held in a small windowless conference room adjacent to the San Isidro Library’s main reading area. The Fallen Angels Book Club was an exclusive group, not only a love of books was required. You also had to be a white collar ex-felon.

I rubbed my hands together and peeled off gloves. My fingers felt like icicles. Thank goodness someone remembered to turn on the heat. The door opened and a gush of wind blew a cluster of leaves into the room along with Gene Donovan who tossed his hoodie and a small brown leather “man purse” onto one of the folding chairs.

“Hollis, let me help you with that.” His tousled blond hair was more askew than usual. Placing his book on the floor, he came over to where I struggled to roll out the meeting table.

“Appreciate it.” I straightened my back and allowed him to carry the bulk of the table’s weight. Fortunately, when I was with Gene, we didn’t have to speak. I caught a glance at his manicured nails and tucked mine into my palms. I liked Gene. He wasn’t afraid to show his feminine side.

We took special care not to drag the metal chair legs across the glowing veneer of the hardwood floor. Its beauty came from the handiwork of the night cleaning crew who waited for us to leave so they could begin their labor.

We settled into our chairs when Rory Norris strode in, let the door slam and dumped his books on the table. His hazel eyes did a sweep across the room as if expecting an ambush. A few more pounds had crept onto his already thickening frame.

Rory patted his black leather jacket as he laid it over the chair. “Hey, people, did you notice if they lock the gates to the parking lot? My Beemer just got detailed and I don’t want some neighborhood juvenile mistaking it for a marker board.”

“Nice touch, Norris, letting us know you got a new BMW.” Richard Kleh came in pulled off his knitted skull cap, revealing an emerging bald crown. He nodded toward the door. “Go check for yourself. Hey, Hollis, did you finish the read?”

“Of course. You’re the one who never finishes a book.”

“Well, I finished this one. It had me going until the end. The characters were realistic and…and…”

“Memorable?” I could tell from his frown he wasn't kidding.


Author Bio: 


R. Franklin James was born and raised in the San Francisco East Bay Area. She graduated from the University of California at Berkeley and completed the masters program in Public Policy at California State University East Bay. She has also received her paralegal certification.

She and her husband live in northern California with their English Springer Spaniel, Bailey.

Catch Up With Ms. James:





Tour Participants



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this very interesting inteveiew. I really enjoyed it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of questions! It's amazing how long it takes to write one draft! It's like writing a script or making a film. Yet, the end result is rewarding. Wonderful interview.

    ~vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - please let me know what you think