Monday, December 17, 2012

Author Interview: All I Want by Rachael Anderson, Jolene Perry & Kaylee Baldwin



Describe your book in five words or less.

A fun Christmas romance.

How did the ideas for your books come to you?

Usually I start with a character. With Six Days of Christmas (my story in All I Want), I wanted to write about a girl who loved structure and planning and had everything set for her life--but this one Christmas was really going to shake things up. From there, I just tried to have fun and think: what would Natalie do if THIS happened? It was a ton of fun to write.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

I just hope that people really get into the Christmas mood after reading this book. I wanted it to be a feel good story, reminding us all that sometimes the roads we didn't plan to go down turn out to be the best ones of all.



What is the hardest part of writing for you? What's the easiest?




The hardest part of writing for me is finding the time to write. I have four little kids that keep me really busy, so I have to make writing time a priority. I have arrangements so I can write every Tuesday and Thursday morning, and I disconnect the email, I won't answer the door or phone, and don't care if my house is a mess... that is my sacred writing time.




The easiest part of writing for me is when the story flows and my fingers can't hardly keep up with it. I LOVE those times. It's usually my best writing, too, probably because I'm not over-thinking everything (as I have a tendency to do!)




What's next for you? Are you currently working on or have plans for future projects?




I am currently working on a young adult romantic comedy right now. I am at the very end of it, so it should be done soon and then off to my beta readers.




Why did you choose to write for specific genre?




I write what I love to read. I love to read romances. I love to read comedies. I love young adult. And it's way fun to mash them all together.




What's it like hearing that readers are eagerly awaiting your book's release date?




It's really humbling. Every time I see the cover for All I Want, I can't wipe the smile off my face.




What is one question that you've always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?




That's a hard one... I don't know if I have a question that I've always wanted to be asked, but one of my favorite questions that I love hearing answered is: What is your favorite book(s) on writing? Every time I start a new work-in-progress I pull out my copy of Plot and Structure of James Scott Bell. And Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott changed my attitude toward my writing. I highly recommend both books.




What was your road to publications like?


Rachael contacted Jolene and I about a year ago to see if we wanted to each write a novella and compile them into a book together. We tossed around several ideas--from having three completely unrelated stories, to similar themes, and in the end decided that we wanted to write Christmas stories.




After writing our stories, we sent them to each other to make sure we all liked each other's stories (which we did) and then sent them off to critiquers and editors. After that we picked out a cover that we all loved--which was really fun to do--and then worked on formatting and polishing it.




My first book, Meg's Melody, was traditionally published, which was a different road for publication involving query letters and revisions, then more query letters, the acceptance email, contracts, edits, and the whole nine yards that took a year and a half from submission to holding a book in my hands--but was also very exciting.




thank you so much for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by - please let me know what you think