Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Author Interview - The Long Night Moon by Willie Elizabeth Towles



Describe your book in five words or less.

Tragedy, Responsibility, Romance, Cherokee wisdom

How did the ideas for your book(s) come to you?

The story, The Long Night Moon, began with a close relationship between a brother and sister and with the introduction of my Cherokee character, Wasi, a very different story stepped into my mind...in other words, the story found me.... From then on, I could only write the words my characters gave me.

What is the hardest part of writing for you? What is the easiest?

A. keeping my author's voice from intruding in the word flow or plotting of story. B. listening to my characters' voices, letting them tell the story.

What's next for you? Are you currently working on or have plans for the future?

I am always writing something, a quick blog, a short essay, and am drafting a sequel for my novel that involves an element of mystery that takes the story a step beyond the in-depth love story of the first book.

Why did you choose to write for specific genre?

I write in several genres, memoir, short stories based loosely on a bit of truth, poems, and of course, fiction.

What's it like hearing that readers are eagerly awaiting your book's release date?

Like winning a lottery of emotions: overwhelmed, jubilant, anxious, all the same feelings going on at the same time.

What is the one question that you've wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?

How and when do you determine how to end the story? When it feels right, when my characters smile their okay.

What was your road to publication like?

At times very frustrating, off-set by times of sheer joy at a publication, no matter how small the story, entering contests, and all the while refining the novel that won't let you rest, working diligently with each piece in the best way I know how; most of all, believe in yourself.





Author bio:
I am a freelance writer living in Charlotte, North Carolina. My publishing credentials include several essays, memoirs and poems published in local magazines and an out of state newspaper, The Protection Press, Protection, Kansas. My credits include: a Bronze National Merit Award in 2003 for Here's Memories, in 2005 for my contribution of In Sickness and In Muck for the Cup Of Comfort series (F&W)
Adams Media, and contributions in 2006 in the book, Retired by A. Boroughs Books. The Long Night Moon is my first novel. Also have monetary awards in 2010 for essays, A Ticket to the Past and The winter of a Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by - please let me know what you think