Saturday, July 21, 2012
Author Interview: The Redemption by Susannah Sandlin
Little Blurb about yourself:
I’m a Southerner who’s lived in Alabama, Texas, California, Illinois and Louisiana—a long, long time in Louisiana. It’s left me with a taste for cypress swamps, SEC football, fried gator on a stick, and all things paranormal!
1. Who or what inspired you to become a writer?
I don’t remember a time I wasn’t enamored of books. I grew up reading Stephen King and Anne Rice. But I was first and foremost a journalist and had no plans to write fiction—until Hurricane Katrina hit my hometown of New Orleans, threw me for a loop, and, somehow, I came out on the other side of that experience writing my first novel. So I guess my answer is Stephen King and Hurricane Katrina!
2. How long did it take you to write Redemption?
All told, about eight months. I also write an urban fantasy series under another name and had to drop this book for a while to do edits on the other series, then come back to it.
3. While writing how many times do you go back and rewrite a plot?
I rewrite scenes but rarely rewrite the plot because I am a hardcore plotter—I have the basic plot in outline form before I ever start writing. Otherwise (I learned the hard way with my first book, which was written without an outline), I wander around in circles and have to do a lot of cutting and rewriting.
4. You run into a bookstore, where do you go first?
I look for the science fiction and fantasy section and try to figure out where they’ve stashed the paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Go geeks!
5. How many books in a month do you tend to read?
If I’m not actively working on a manuscript, I will read one or two books a week. I’m trying to turn around three manuscripts this year, though (plus a full-time day job), so lately it’s been more like one a month. My TBR stacks are getting seriously insane!
6. In all the books you’ve read. Who is your most favorite character and why?
Wow. All the books, of all time? Hm…In the paranormal realm, probably Zsadist from JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. He’s such a deep, rich character—so damaged and yet so honorable. In urban fantasy, it would be Harry Dresden. Love Harry!
7. State 5 random facts about yourself.
1. I grew up in a really small town. My graduating class of 74 was largest in school history.
2. I have two rescue dogs named after professional wrestlers (don’t ask), and their claim to fame is running away from home and ending up at a fancy hotel in New Orleans, enjoying happy hour….without me.
3. I’m a music junkie with really eclectic tastes. These days, I’m listening to a lot of French-Canadian pop.
4. I’m the reigning spelling bee champion in my county. (It’s a charity, event, okay?)
5. I hate licorice. I hate to even think about licorice. Ick.
8. Your favorite Genre?
The intersection of urban fantasy and paranormal romance—my favorite books have both elements.
9. What are you currently reading?
Stephen King’s Wizard and Glass, for an online read, but JR Ward’s Lover Awakened is staring at me from my bookshelf.
10. What is the best book you've read?
Stephen King’s The Stand is probably my all-time favorite book. He’s a master storyteller, and that book has it all.
11. Any new projects coming up?
The second book in the Penton Legacy series, Absolution, comes out on October 9, and I’m working on the third book, Omega, which will come out in December.
Here’s your chance to market your book. Describe it. And why readers should pick it up?
Bottom line: it’s a good read with not only romance but a compelling storyline! Redemption is a paranormal romance that pits brother against brother, vampire against vampire, with one human woman caught in the middle of a brewing vampire civil war. It’s about leaving the past behind and taking a chance on an uncertain future. And it’s about what happens to the world of vampires when the blood of all the humans who got a pandemic vaccine turns poisonous to them. The vampire world’s on the verge of collapse, and it’s going to get dangerous.
About the Author:
Susannah Sandlin is the author of paranormal romance set in the Deep South, where there are always things that go bump in the night! A journalist by day, Susannah grew up in Alabama reading the gothic novels of Susan Howatch, and always fancied herself living in Cornwall (although she’s never actually been there). Details, details. She also is a fan of Stephen King. The combination of Howatch and King probably explains a lot. Currently a resident of Auburn, Alabama, Susannah has also lived in Illinois, Texas, California, and Louisiana. Her novel Redemption won the paranormal romance category in the 2011 Chicago North RWA Fire and Ice contest, and is the first of three in a series that debuts this year.
Indie Bound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781612183541
5 Print or ebook copies of Redemption (winner’s choice)tour-wide- open internationally (to be chosen from all tour entries)
a Rafflecopter giveaway