Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Tour - Author Interview (Bewitching Book tours): Solstice by Donna Burgess



Little Blurb about yourself:

Hi. My name is Donna Burgess and I’m here to talk a little about writing and my newest novel Solstice, which is an apocalyptic/ zombie tale set in Europe. So far, it’s gotten a great response, so I hope everyone here will at least grab a sample over at Amazon (or where ever ebooks are sold) and check it out.

1. Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

I’ve always been a huge fan of horror movies, horror comics and anything else I could get my little hands on that would scare me. When I didn’t have anything interesting to read or watch, I started making up stories. Once I was old enough to write, I began writing everything down. Most of it was pretty wretched, but it was “writing” :-D

2. How long did it take you to write Solstice?

A year, from the first little flash of inspiration to the final proof. I really hope to get faster with the process. An independent author can’t rely on only one release a year to survive.


3. While writing how many times do you go back and rewrite a plot?

I had most of the main storyline in my head from the get-go. Because it took so long finish the book (I’m also a student), I did have to go back and correct things I’d forgotten or changed. That’s where my awesome editor, Lynn O’Dell came in. She has an eagle eye for inconsistencies in the storyline.

4. You run into a bookstore, where do you go first?

Horror! Of course, most chains don’t have “horror” any more, so fantasy or science fiction. I seem to be enjoying more YA lately, too. My daughter has turned me onto some of those titles.


5. How many books in a month do you tend to read?

Only one or two. I do read a lot of short stories, however.

6. In all the books you've read. Who is your most favorite character and why?

Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird. She reminded me of myself when I was a kid. A little tomboy. I also loved Jay Gatsby, but that was because I imagined Robert Redford the entire time I was reading the book!

7. State 5 random facts about yourself.

I play in an adult soccer league (and I’m the oldest woman on the team!)
I learned to surf when I was 36 years old.
I paint.
I own eleven cats.
I’m a Star Wars geek.

8. Your favorite Genre?

Horror.

9. What are you currently reading?

I’m actually reading several books now. The main one is The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan.

10. What is the best book you've read?

Well, I don’t know if it’s the best book I’ve read, but I one of the more recent really good reads was Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I also just finished Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Those were (for me) two of those rare books that you can’t wait to get back to and see what’s going to happen next.

11. Any new projects coming up?

I’m working a YA zombie novel. After that, I have a paranormal/ ghost novel set in early 1970s South Carolina.

Here’s your chance to market your book. Describe it. And why readers should pick it up?

Solstice is a horror novel, but I believe the heart of the book is the characters. I’ve had a lot of very positive feedback regarding my characters. The novel has good scares, plenty of dark and dangerous situations and main characters that you can root for. Also, it doesn’t always go the way the reader expects.

Solstice
By Donna Burgess

Blurb:

On the eve of winter Solstice, a massive flash envelopes the Earth and then there is nothing. The sun no longer shines and civilization is plunged into unending darkness. Those exposed to the mysterious flash have changed—they have become bloodthirsty, cunning, and determined to devour anyone who is not infected. They are Ragers.

In Sweden, a group of uneasy travelers hears a broken broadcast. There is hope. Something called Sanctuary waits, but it is thousands of miles away, somewhere on the shores of the British Isles.

Meanwhile, in a London supermarket, a high school English teacher from the States finds himself stranded along with a handful of students on a senior trip. Outside, hoards of hungry Ragers await, ready to tear them limb from limb. Their only hope is to find Sanctuary.

Solstice is a tale of hope, terror, survival, and finding love at the end of the World.

Author Bio

Donna Burgess lives with her husband, daughter, son, many cats and one goofy Golden Retriever in Pawleys Island, South Carolina. When she is not writing, she can be found on her longboard, behind a good book or on the soccer field. She is the president of E-Volve Books. She holds a B.A. in English and a B.A. in Journalism and is currently pursuing her M.F.A. in Creative Writing.

Links:

Twitter

Facebook

Website

Book Trailer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1ooJlJRVM&feature=youtu.be

Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13696066-solstice





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by - please let me know what you think