Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Tour - Author Interview(Bewitching Book Tour): Saint Sanguinis by Julia Phillips Smith



Little Blurb about yourself:

Award-winning filmmaker and author Julia Phillips Smith lives on Canada’s east coast with her husband and her mom, where the rugged sea and misty forests feed her thirst for gothic tales.
A graduate of Ryerson University’s film program, Julia’s previous writing credits include scripts for radio and television.

1. Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

Like most writers, I already considered myself to be one from childhood. I even had a Little House on the Prairie-esque ‘novel’ I’d written when I was in grade five, also illustrated by yours truly. It only made it to a single copy written in pencil in my school notebooks.

I’ve been compelled to tell stories and was encouraged to do so by my family and teachers.

2. How long did it take you to write SAINT SANGUINUS?

It took several years. It began as Peredur’s story as I followed the 6th century Welsh warrior for my first NaNoWriMo. I set that storyline aside for awhile as I worked on another manuscript, returning to it the following year during NaNoWriMo when I followed his beloved’s story. I wrote from Tanwen the chieftain’s daughter’s point of view, and I found this intense submersion into each POV to be really liberating.

The biggest challenge was then uniting the two storylines into one narrative.

3. While writing how many times do you go back and rewrite a plot?

So far I’ve never had to completely scrap an entire plot. Make changes to sequences that aren’t working, yes.

4. You run into a bookstore, where do you go first?

That depends entirely upon my obsession du jour.

If I’m focused on writing sword-fighting sequences, I might head for the section where I can find visual reference books on weaponry.

5. How many books in a month do you tend to read?

Not too many. I’m so busy writing and doing everything else, I only read during my lunch break at work or waiting for the bus. Of course, I mainly catch up on sleep when I’m on the bus, so you see where my reading time goes.

6. In all the books you've read, who is your most favorite character and why?

The Marquess of Rothgar from the Malloren novels by Jo Beverley. He drips with James Bondian cool, but dresses like the Scarlet Pimpernel. Sweet.

7. State 5 random facts about yourself.

1 – I have a Russian phrasebook in my purse, because I’m teaching myself to speak Russian.

2 – I’m a passionate balletomane with a lifetime goal to see as many of the great ballet companies in their home venues as possible.

3 – I sing alto in choir and have had the great luck to sing Mozart’s Requiem, Orff’s Carmina Burana and Vivaldi’s Gloria in concert with orchestra.

4 – I follow the lead of Twin Peak’s Special Agent Dale Cooper and Supernatural’s Dean Winchester when it comes to diners, cups of coffee, shots of whisky and slices of pie.

5 – I’m looking forward to our yearly writers’ retreat in the fall. I know it’s only three days, but for all of us who have been attending it for nearly a decade, it’s pretty much the highlight of our year.

8. Your favorite Genre?

Dark fantasy, horror, historical fiction, dark historical romance

9. What are you currently reading?

BE MY PRINCE by Julianne MacLean, where royal matchmaking can make or break kingdoms as well as hearts.

10. What is the best book you've read?

I would have to say ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac.

11. Any new projects coming up?

I’ve just released BOUND BY DRAGONSFYRE, a dark fantasy that follows a young falconer’s apprentice as he stays one step ahead of deadly palace intrigue.

You can check out the book trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGg9zB0KKts

Here’s your chance to market your book. Describe it. And why readers should pick it up?

As VampireRomanceBooks.com says, “If you’re a fan of smiley, sunshine and rainbow vampires, this book may not be for you. These vampires are vicious and live for blood.”

In SAINT SANGUINUS, I return to the roots of vampire lore while taking my main character into superhero-origin-story territory:

An elite brotherhood stands between humans and vampires, preventing one side from annihilating the other. Who are called to this service? Only those warriors who curse God with their dying breath.
Welsh warrior Peredur falls to a spear before he can claim Tanwen for his bride. Raging on the battlefield, Peredur utters the curse that seals his fate and leads him to another life. Using the power of a saint whose bone makes up an amulet, Peredur takes on the trials to become a true member of the brethren. Yet his need for the chieftain’s daughter Tanwen still burns.
Tanwen resists her father’s command to take a husband. The only one who understands her sorrow is Cavan, the wise woman’s son. When he promises that he can reunite her with her beloved, she agrees to his terms. But does Tanwen truly understand the depth of the price that must be paid?


Where you can find author Julia Phillips Smith:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/author.julia.p.smith

Twitter: tp://twitter.com/#!/apieceofmymind

Book Trailer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Dcv_qhXjM

Award winning book trailer – Best Shorts Competition, La Jolla CA, May 1st
Also awarded by -- The Accolade Competition, USA, Jun 18th

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5349029.Julia_Phillips_Smith

Website: http://juliaphillipssmith.com/

Blog: A Piece of My Mind - http://julia-mindovermatter.blogspot.ca/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/juliapsmith/

3 comments:

  1. These vampires thirst for blood...

    Do they ever!

    What a great post - like how you worked Twin Peaks and Supernatural into it all. I miss the Twin Peaks theme song. It used to terrify me.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Tara is right, you snuck a lot of my fav references in this interview - we must be on the same wavelength. I love your dark and tortured hero. Cant'wait to have time to read your new release this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - please let me know what you think