Sunday, June 12, 2011

Author Interview - The Gamers Saga by Donald Semora





Describe your book in five words or less.

Something expansive, something very different.

How did the ideas for your books come to you?

I have been a huge reader of Fantasy since my childhood, and always had an interest in the genre. I wrote the Gamers Saga actually as an adjunct to the world I created for my real gaming, as I play Dungeons & Dragons. So the story line came to me on evening, as I used it for a game and the players really liked it.

What is the hardest part of writing for you? What's the easiest?

The hardest part for me is ending the books I write. I sometimes get so consumed by my story and get attached to the characters, that I find it hard to end what I started.

The easiest part for me is the dialogue for the story, as I find it easy to write with an eye for the characters chatting. I think because of my imagination is so active, that I actually become immersed in my writing and stories. As I write, I actually find myself there, among my characters and locations. Picturing them, and the places in my mind's eye.

What's next for you? Are you currently working on or have plans for future projects?

I am working on three projects that will be out in 2011, one is a book called "Soccer Mom", this is a suspense book. This is a new genre for me and I am finding it challenging and also a lot of fun. I also am working on a book called "Slagar The Pirate" which is part of my short stories that are spin off's for my Gamers Saga. Lastly, I am working on an untitled work, this is going to be a good old fashioned Mystery, sort of Sherlock Holmes meets Agatha Christi.

Why did you choose to write for specific genre?

I write in the Fantasy genre (mainly) due to simple interest. I have an affinity for the genre. However, I am breaking from that genre due to creative expansion and growing issues. I am not tackling horror / suspense and also as I said above mystery.

What's it like hearing that readers are eagerly awaiting your book's release date?

This for me is so cool to hear, when I see a readers look, or their excitement over an upcoming book. This has to be one of the top reasons why I write. To know your work is appreciated by a reader, is the top reward for writing in my humble opinion.

What is one question that you've always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?

An interesting question for me would be: So tell me, What made you start writing?
My answer would be:

What was your road to publications like?

I started with a self publishing, and had very limited success, mainly doing craft shows, fairs etc. I ran into many traditional road blocks with getting my books in stores, Then I did the traditional submissions processes with the larger publishers, and that ended with frustration over their requirements, and also denials. I then decided a new approach was in order, so that is when I went with formal pay to publish. But with my first pay publisher, I ran into more frustration as they did nothing they said they would do. So I went with another pay to publish operation and am happy now.

I admit, that writing and true "authoring" is more work than I envisioned, as it is almost like a second job for me. However, the rewards so far have been fun and worth it. Seeing my hard work on a shelf of a book store, or in a readers hands is something that still gives me goose bumps.



Author Bio:




Donald Semora is the author of several books, and he has plans to release more this year. He was originally self published, then found a publisher. After the experience with that publisher, he decided to publish with 2 Moon Press. He is an experienced graphic designer, and provides other authors custom book covers, and layout for their books.

He recently won a Blue Nebula award for Fantasy, for his book "The Gamers Saga." He lives in Southern Michigan with his new wife, where he writes and also lectures new authors on writing and publishing. His web site is www.donsemora.com

Please leave a comment on this post in appreciation of the author.

4 comments:

  1. I have read this authors books and was very impressed. His writing is unique and also very entertaining. I am so surprised there is not more about his books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read his book Freya and Kord and think he is one of the "need to reads" of new authors. His fantasy work is not the same ole same ole.. Rubber stamp rip offs that so many others write about. I can't wait for his new book. He is very talaneted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this and wanted to give my .05 on his writing. I read his book The Alterverse, and enjoyed it. The person above called his writing unique, I disagree. His writing is like good chocolate, something you want more of and when you get it you walk away wanting more. I went to his website and plan to get some more of his books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Discovered this author at a craft show where he was selling his books. The book I read was called The Alterverse and I think is his latest book. I very much enjoyed his book, the choclate comment above is funny. However I admit his book was better the more I read about it. I see he has other books coming, so I am going to get them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - please let me know what you think